Thursday, September 26, 2013

Gaslight and CX so far

If were friends on Facebook or Twitter you probably already know about my crash at Gaslight.  On the last lap I was in good position and a guy from a certain team on the west side, that wears a like blue kit, and has 3 letters in their name, got nervous about riding over a pothole and took many of us out.  My Garmins last recorded speed was 27 so I hit the ground pretty hard on the high side and was then ran into from behind.  I was left with a nasty hematoma on my back and my hip was jacked up.  I'm still dealing with the hematoma and according to the doctor I will for a while.  The hip was a bigger issue and it was still sore going into Ithaca.  I wasn't able to get off my bike and hop barriers.  I took it easy though and by race day I was still sore but it was manageable.

Ithaca could have been epic.  Training wise I was feeling strong.  It was just a matter of how my hip would hold up.  The course was great as usual and it even rained a little bit.  With the new way they are doing the grouping I'm not having great luck with starts.  In the cat3 race I didn't go off well but I was moving up in decent position. On the 2nd from last lap my rear brake jammed with sand from the sand pit.  It basically stopped my wheel from.  I quickly jumped off and try to fix it but by the time I got moving again I was getting lapped by the leader.  I could only get the bike to roll a little bit so I pulled off the course because I still had most of a lap to go.  In hindsight I should have just ran the rest of the course but I had mentally lost.  Then I had signed up for masters so I was thinking maybe I'd still get a full race in.  In practice after cleaning my bike off I rolled a tubular.  I we back and forth about borrowing someone else's wheel and ended up taking someone's wheel.  The pressure was too high so I dropped the pressure.  I ended up lowering it too much and didnt have a great experience.  Crashed a couple times and bent my handlebars.  Decided it was probably safer for everyone to just call it quits. Not the day I had intended on. 

At Waterford this past week I only signed up for the 3's for both days.  Saturday I got my typical bad start but I was moving up pretty good.  About 2 laps in I rolled my rear tire.  I was pretty pissed but said screw it.  I'm not quitting for this.  I popped the tire back on and kept going.  I ended up rolling the tire again but kept going.  I finished the race 8th.  Just happy to finish really.  Sunday came but this time I ran file tread clinchers.  I got my usually start but started picking guys off and felt pretty good. I worked my way up behind a Specialized rider.  He made comments about my squeaky brakes.  He was actually in the next category back but he was between me and 3rd place in my category.  I wanted to pass him because I knew I was faster.  Eventually he crashed right in front of me but that let the guy behind me pass both of us.  I passed the Specialized rider and went after the other guy.  He was in another category too but I needed to pass him to get to 3rd.  I eventually got around him and got up to the 3rd place rider but I just couldn't reel him in the last 10 meters or so.  I tried on the pavement but it didn't happen.  I ended up 4th and that was enough to finally get a medal in Cyclocross.  I've desperately tried for a while now and I'm glad to finally achieve it.  I feel good about this season as long as I keep the mechanicals away.  I've been working my team mates and they've been providing me some excellent guidance that has worked for them. 

Next up Lower Huron, cat wait!!!!!


  1. Another goal achieved mate. Time to come back to Triathlon!

  2. Proud of you Brother! Presistence pays off...